Sunday, September 25, 2011

Really Fast and Easy Cake!

On Sundays, I like to do things a bit nicer for dinner and include dessert. However, if I fuss over dessert, the dinner gets neglected in small ways. I've decided, over the years, that the fancier desserts get made during the week when dinner is simpler. On Sundays, concentration is on the main meal with a less complicated but still tasty dessert. I came across this one and am definitely putting it on my 'to do' list for today.

Uncomplicated Cake

1 chocolate cake mix
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup water
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Vegetable oil spray the baking pans of your choice - two 8 or 9-inch round ones if you want to make a layer cake or an 11x 13 for even less fuss.

Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend to mix thoroughly. Don't overbeat it, about two minutes should do it. Spread batter into prepared pans and bake for approximately 20-30 minutes depending on size of your pans and oven heat output. Cake should spring back when touched lightly when done.

Ideas . . .
Although I haven't tried it, I would think a spice cake mix would be good. I might even add a half cup of finely chopped nuts to the batter.

A yellow cake mix with 1/2 cup toasted coconut would be good.

One-half cup of tiny chocolate chips would enhance the value of any cake.

Using orange juice instead of the water would make either the spice or chocolate cake stand out.

No comments: