Friday, September 23, 2011

Friday Challenges . . .

Fridays are the most challenging for me in the kitchen. Cooking something meatless that everyone likes can be difficult. I used to make cheese/spinach lasagna only to discover that after over 30 years of marriage, my husband doesn't care for it! Sigh . . . figures as it is my favorite Friday dinner. Only one of the children like macaroni and cheese. Spaghetti with tomato/vegetable sauce is favored by only two of my four children. I'm not even going to check with my husband on this one! :-) Cheese rice souffle is the preferred choice by only by the parents of this group. Don't get me wrong, I do not cater to the whims and dislikes of the individuals but I do try to space out the menu choices so everyone gets a turn at being happy to come to the dinner table.

I was thinking about making Cheddar/Broccoli soup for today's evening menu. Not sure how my teenage son will take it as anything with hot cheese doesn't thrill him. After reading through the recipe, I'm wondering about it, too. It calls for a Russet potatoe and a sweet potato in providing the texture and thickening agent. The sweet potato is an interesting component. Will it enhance the cheese flavor or will the cheese flavor have a sweet undertone that might not be terrific?

I'm still considering Cheddar/Broccoli soup for dinner but may leave out the sweet potato ingredient for two, important reasons: a.) it sounds weird and, b.) I don't want to drive to the store for just a sweet potato! Hey, it sounds reasonable to me. Of course, I will have that nagging feeling that my good bowl of soup this evening might have been fantastic if only I had gotten that sweet potato.

No catching up on quilting today. My high school graduate is taking the college assessment test for community college. No, there isn't any room for him to actually take a class but he needs to take the test in order to try and sign up for classes . . . and be turned down, in the Spring. He is a bit worried and I can't get him to understand that it is an assessment of what he knows that a test to grade him on his knowledge.

Late start to the morning so I will head out to morning Mass and spend a few moments pondering the value of sweet potatoes in my life!

No comments: