Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Peanut Butter Frosting . . .

My daughter's favorite candy is anything that combines peanut butter with chocolate. She is picky about what she likes in the way of sweets and all too often what I make/bake has something in it she doesn't like too much. I decided to make a dessert that everyone in the family would enjoy . . . especially my daughter.

I decided on a chocolate cake. While it was baking, I thought about what kind of frosting would be goodd and suddenly realized I could make peanut butter frosting. This is the recipe I came up with for it.

Peanut Butter Frosting

1 stick butter (Margarine would make it too greasy tasting)
1 cup creamy peanut butter
4 cups  powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
Milk or cream

Beat together the butter and peanut butter until well combined and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and extracts. Add milk by spoonfuls until you get a spreadable texture for the frosting. You don't want it running down the sides of the cake!

My cake was three layers and it turned out pretty good and did have that popular candy aspect of the two favorite flavors - chocolate and peanut butter.

The orange extract doesn't taste 'orange' in the frosting. It just enhances the taste of the peanut butter.

No comments: