Monday, August 22, 2011

No improvement in the situation . . .

As I posted, my high school graduate was unable to get into the community college for the Fall because the college had to cut back something like 2,500 seats available. Being a new student, he was, of course, last on the list for registering for classes. There were no classes available for him when it was his turn to sign up. Believe me, we even started looking at the classes he would take for love or money just to get his foot in the door for the Spring semester.

I had to call the college counseling center today and I asked if things would ease up in the Spring registration. The counselor said, "No." She said my son could just keep showing up for whatever class he was interested in and hope that most of the 40 people ahead of him on the wait list didn't show up that day.

It really makes you wonder how much of our taxes actually for for education, pure and simple and not for the excess of administration. I'm wondering what will happen to my son's eagerness to progress in his education if he gets left out a second time. I know that if he gets a job, he will probably enjoy the paycheck more than living the life of a 'starving' student. You certainly have to shake your head in disbelief at a country who can't provide adequate educational opportunities, makes flying the American flag a problem, sends students home when they wear patriotic tee shirts, and call people who stand up for Christian values, terrorists. You add the increasing 'nanny state' mind set and everyone should start worrying.

Anyway, my son is scheduled to take the college's assessment test next month and can even talk to a counselor . . . I'm not sure about what - - - the classes he would have liked to take to further the education he isn't getting right now? Now we know why we have never discovered alien life forms in outerspace . . . They don't want to be found and have to associate with us!

By the way, I just read that in 545 was one of the first sightings of the Loch Ness monster. Perhaps, my son and the other students left out in non-student land can get federal funding to investigate this in current times. Deep, heartfelt sigh here . . .

No comments: