Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Never fabric shop on a budget . . .

I'm learning that you can shop with a budget in mind for food and clothing, however, never look for fabric on a budget. I made that mistake, yesterday, of going to the fabric warehouse because I needed backing material for several quilt projects. I have the tops pieced and ready to go but they have been sitting on top of my cupboard in complete for lack of a backing. My thoughts on this sort of thing is to put off completing such projects until the budge will allow for both the needed fabric and the possibility of wanted fabric. Unfortunately, I didn't fight for my viewpoint and found myself at the warehouse and stuck in the bargain, flat fold fabric stacks.

Now, the fabric in the flat fold stacks is premium stuff. It is just the ends of bolts. Sometimes, you can find six yards of designer fabric for under three dollars a yard. Other times, it is only a yard of two but when you are a quilter, you will grab these smaller units because you get inspired when you see them. I didn't want to put myself through this yet there I was in the flat fold stacks wishing I could be out among the bolts of fabric. Naturally, I found three, fantastic lengths of fabric that positively made my heart sing (probably off key!) and my creative juices flow. I had to leave them as they weren't enough for the quilt backing. The fabrics that had at least six yards, were okay fabrics but not something I'd ordinarily want or buy. Out of the six lengths I found that I could live with, only two were really close to my usual tastes. When we got to the cutting table, it turned out the two I liked were only three yards and I needed six yards for backing so they didn't make it to my shopping bag. I was rather sad to walk out of there with a bag of fabric I didn't much like for the sake of finishing some quilts.

Learned my lesson, however. I will never, never, never shop for fabric when I have to stick to needs and ignore the moments of love at first sight. The new fabric? It is now residing in the far reaches of my closet and instead of quilting today, I am more inclinded towards cleaning house and doing bills!

No comments: