Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Many uses of dry biscuit mix - Sloppy Cake!

The one thing I try to never run out of is a box of the dry biscuit mix. Even as a little girl, I remember seeing my mother go to it when she wanted to get a fast dinner on the table or even to make a quick treat. Just using the recipes on the side and back of the box will set you up for success for several days. It is good for breakfast pancakes, biscuit sandwich lunches, or a golden-crusted casserole. The reason it came to mind today? I was musing over what to cook for dinner and my son begged for spicy spaghetti which meant I only had to defrost a jar of my homemade sauce and boil pasta. I said he was making life too easy for me as it gave me an extra thirty minutes to sew this afternoon. He joked, "In that case, bake something for dessert."

Even as  I type, there is a gooey coffee cake of sorts baking in the oven. Thought I'd share it with you so you can impress your family some evening unexpectedly. I call it "Sloppy Cake"! Why? Because I usually am in a hurry which I decide to bake this and make a mess.

Sloppy Cake

2 cups dry biscuit mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Enough milk to make a sort of thick batter

Mix the first four ingredient in a bowl. Gradually add the milk until you have a thick but pourable batter. Spread it in a greased 8x8-inch baking pan.

Topping

1 cup dry biscuit mix
1/2 cup butter, slightly softened
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup packed brown sugar

Mix these ingredients together to form a lumpy, crumbly mixture.

Scatter the topping over the batter and bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 15-20 minutes until the batter rises up and turns golden. The topping will be swirled in and a bit gooey. Cool for a few minutes before serving. It is also very good cold the next day with a cup of coffee!

No comments: