Friday, August 5, 2011

A deep sigh for the willingly uninformed . . .

I was amazed and saddened to see someone show up at morning Mass wearing a loud tee shirt picturing a very, very anti-life political figure. Naturally, he came up to meet and greet with me and all I could see was this adamantly outspoken anti-life person starring at me from the front of the tee shirt. I mentioned to the person that I found it offensive to extoll the virtues of someone who is against protecting the life of the unborn. Typical liberal mentality as he prosed on about 'how that when it is all said and done, many of the things we objected to today will all be clear'. Huh? I went on and said it is kind of hard to find any reason to be 'reasonable' about someone who promotes abortion. I got a pat on the shoulder and a sad smile at my apparent lack of understanding of the big picture.

I have four children. The doctor tried to talk me into terminating two of the pregnancies. One, because of a test that has since proved to be questionable regarding results. He basically said, "So, go ahead and have a Down's baby." I was 38 years old and I could tell he thought I was an idiot to be pregnant in the first place. I delivered a healthy child meanwhile the same doctor's office delivered two other women in their 20's of Down's babies that same time period. The fourth pregnancy, the doctor said it was to 'save my life'. No, I wasn't in any immediate danger, the baby was healthy . . . it was just the easiest way to go. Guess what, 18 years later, that baby and myself are just fine.

Maybe I don't look at the big picture. Perhaps, I just focused on the immediate life I was carrying and wanted to do the best with what had been gifted to me. I had to wonder how the guy with the tee shirt would have advised me. Even as he walked into Mass and participated in the Eucharist, would he turn his back on the precepts of our Faith and God in order to see the big picture? Seems to me that the only One in the whole world who has the view of the big picture is God and not someone who puts the economy and such ahead of life which is the whole picture.

No comments: