Saturday, July 23, 2011

Finding tomatoes in unusual places . . .

 Made the ultimate sacrifice for my beloved younger son during the last heat wave and turned on the oven and made him some muffins. Why was that a sacrifice? The outdoor temperature was 110 today! It was in the 90's inside our house. I pray for a cold, wet winter.

Anyway, I didn't have pumpkin or zucchini to make the muffins with so used . . . fresh tomatoes from our garden! I pureed two cups' worth into a liquid and used that instead of the suggested pumpkin or zucchini. I added some grated orange rind, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves to the batter, and they came out a pretty, deep red/brown and my son snacked on them all day. I don't think canned tomato sauce would have worked quite as well as the fresh tomatoes had an interesting, fresh tang.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: