Saturday, July 30, 2011

An expensive bargain dinner . . .

Since it is that no man's land before payday, I have been careful about my meal preparations and using up what's in the cupboard. Fortunately, I was able to stock up on sale items last pay day period so things haven't been too constricted. Yesterday, being Friday, I decided to make a double recipe of macaroni and cheese. I figured I would have enough for dinner, lunches for my husband to take to work, and a good serving to take down to my college daughter. I had seen a reasonable chunk of cheddar in the back of the cheese drawer in the refrigerator so was all set.

I lined up my ingredients, got the pasta water boiling, and went to get my cheese only to discover it had been showing it's healthy side . . . it was very green on the back with mold. I thought about carving off the offending part but it would have reduced my cheese to very little, not enough for my planned dinner. I sighed deeply as I raced over to the store. I was happy to discover the cheese was on sale and I also had a two dollars off coupon in my pocket. Still, it took a lot of the bargain out of my planned meal. God is good, however, and God provided . . . He just gave me a little test on patience and good will. I didn't snarl too much.

My husband kept remarking throughout the meal that this was the best macaroni and cheese I had ever made! He said it so many times, I began to wonder about the macaroni and cheese dishes I had presented to the dinner table over the last 28 years!

I always try to bring down a good portion of macaroni and cheese to one of my college daughters. Sure, she is quite capable of making her own but she says my macaroni and cheese tastes like Mom! Nice to know that even when they grow up, they still miss home.

No comments: