Sunday, July 17, 2011

Ah, there's the rub . . .

Taking two chances with dinner this evening. I'm trying a new seasoning rub for the chicken and my husband is going to grill it on the barbecue. If it turns our wonderfully, I will post the fabulous results tomorrow. If you never hear me on this subject, again, don't ask!

This is supposed to be a take off on the seasoning used at Dollywood Amusement Park. It looked interesting so, naturally, I had to give it a try. Hey, I had the ingredients on hand as well as chicken thighs. I like to use all the same when grilling chicken so it all gets done at the same time.

Here is what was used for the rub seasoning:

1/2 cup salt
6 tablespoons garlic powder
6 tablespoons ground cumin
4 tablespoons chili powder
4 tablespoons black pepper
4 taspoons unsweetened cocoa

You mix it all together and then dump in your chicken and rub all the pieces until they are well covered. Refrigerate for a couple hours or even overnight.  Grill or bake according to your preferences. It sounds easy and tasty. Just the rub seasoning smelled good on the raw chicken. I have hopes.

Meanwhile, I'm disposing of some newly harvested zucchini by way of muffins which are happily baking in the oven as I type. Actually, they are zucchini/carrot/walnut/cranberry muffins. Again, if they turn out well, I'll post the recipe tomorrow or the next day. Judging from the scent, I think it is time to remove the baking pans from the oven so I will leave you to your own musings over what to cook for dinner!

1 comment:

Barbara Maria said...

A head's up! If you like your chicken salty and spicy, this is the recipe for you. My family decided it was a bit too much for them (okay, the vote was divided!) so I'd suggest a little less than half the salt. Of course, you could omit it entirely and salt to taste at the table, too.