Monday, June 27, 2011

Sweet Interlude at dinner . . .

I was thinking about what to make for dinner this evening. I realized that, for once, I had cornmeal in the cupboard and instantly thought about Honey Butter! I have never been much for the taste of honey except him Greek desserts. I tried honey butter at a restaurant with cornbread and was instantly sold on the combination. There are two ways to make it but I prefer it without the added vanilla extract. Some people even like to add a dash of cinnamon to their recipe.

Honey Butter

Two tablespoons softened butter
Two tablespoons your favorite honey

Optional additions:
One teaspoon vanilla extract
One teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
Dash of cinnamon

Mix the honey into the slightly softened butter. Add any of the optional ingredients as desired. Refrigerate until needed, however, take it out about 15 minutes ahead of time so it will be spreadable.

The recipe is easy to increase according to your needs. In fact, I like to make a larger batch to have some at the ready in the refrigerator for a few days.

Cornbread is easy! Just follow the directions on the package of cornmeal. Aside from adding more spices, chili, etc., I've found that most cornbread recipes are more than adequate. Besides, aren't we only using the cornbread as a means of conveying honey butter tidily to our waiting mouths?

No comments: