Monday, June 27, 2011

Good disappointment . . .

We spent a hectic day, yesterday, getting ready to have company and get the fill dirt to finally bury the hole left by a former pool dweller. The previous owners thought it would be a great idea to put an above-ground pool into a recessed hole. Although our children enjoyed it for a few years, it was more trouble than it was worth. The pool, itself, was removed a year or so ago but getting fill dirt was more of a challenge. 

Finally, my husband thought he had found a place from which to purchase and have fill dirt delivered to our home. We lined up some help as we didn't want to have that much of a dirt pile on our driveway for more than a day. The company said to confirm on Sunday evening but never asked for a  precise address. They also said it would be $250, cash only. We thought that was a bit odd but never having dealt with this sort of thing . . . There were not many places to chose from around here for what we needed.

Sunday evening, I am trying to advance order pizza for the next day with no luck. The site was complicated and refused to show the sale prices advertised. After 30 minutes, I decided that driving down, in person, and ordering them to be delivered the morning of the work day seemed more feasible. I couldn't understand, however, why I couldn't get this site to work. I'm of more than average intelligence and I know that teens are able to access this successfully.

Meanwhile, my husband is calling the dirt place . . . and calling . . . and calling with no answer. Around nine in the evening, he gets through and the receptionish isn't cued in to anything on the subject so my husband cancels the order and we call off our helpers for the day. Good thing the pizza site hadn't worked, huh?

This morning, after a few tries, my husband finds another fill dirt company. Hmmm . . . they are $50 cheaper and . . . they take checks! Kind of makes you wonder if the other one would have actually dumped the dirt after grabbing the cash? And the company we are going to work with now actually wanted our address and phone number up front. Go figure on their business ethic!

I have found that when things do not go as planned on a project, I need to stop and think why? Every time, I've listened to the caution in my mind, it has turned out to be a blessing. I'm thinking we just got another blessing on this project, too. Guardian angels at work!

No comments: