Friday, May 6, 2011

Sorting the cupboard shelves brings on inspiration . . .

In making sure my kitchen is in good shape while I'm on vacation, I sorted through the pantry cupboard to see what was on hand and what I might need to purchase. Even when I'm out of the house (and country!), I want to make sure my husband has everything he needs to eat sufficiently. I have very long apron strings and they are anchored in my home and family.

I noticed I had stocked up on canned pumpkin so went in search of possible recipes that could use the extra ones up. I found this one and although I haven't tried it yet, it looks simple yet makes a fancy presentation. It has everything in it - citrus, pumpkin, and spice plus a decadent cream cheese frosting.

Interesting note but canned pumpkin only has to have a certain percentage of actual pumpkin in it to be labeled as such. We might be getting some Butternut squash in it as less expensive filler. Doesn't bother me as Butternut squash can be cooked into a 'pumpkin' pie without anyone noticing the switch. So, if my store-bought can of pumpkin incorporates some other squash, I'm okay with that.

Pumpkin Squares

1 spice cake mix
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 16-ounce can pumpkin
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated orange zest

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix all the pumpkin bar ingredients in a bowl just until well combined. Pour into a 13x9-inch cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out of the center clean. Cool completely.

While the cake is cooling, cream the cream cheese and butter together in your mixer bowl until quite fluffy. Mix in the powdered sugar until well blended. Add vanilla, orange zest, and mix well. Chill frosting in the refrigerator until the cake is completely cool, frost, and serve.

No comments: