Saturday, May 7, 2011

Lemon musings . . .

I was thinking about lemons today. It was probably the fact that I wandered out into the backyard for the sole purpose of picking a few off our sturdy, faithful little lemon tree. It is a sight to behold right now. The one and off again weather pattern has the poor tree rather confused. There are about 20 beautiful, golden lemons hanging from it branches BUT, there are also many new blossoms offering the promise of more lemons in the coming Fall. BUT, there are also some new, green lemons already in evidence almost catching up with the yellow ones long on the tree.

Now, my favorite citrus fruit in the world is an orange. An orange warm and fresh from the tree must have been one of the fruits spending time in the Garden of Eden. I've yet to purchase an orange from the store that tastes as good. Upon reflection, however, if I had to deal with only one fruit the rest of my life, I'd probably chose the lemon. Why? Lemons are more versatile and can be used in both savory and sweet dishes. A lemonade on a hot day is wonderful. Broiled chicken that has been marinated in garlic and lemon juice is a whole, other wonderful story.

My thoughts on lemons did 'bear fruit' . . . I just took out a lemon pound cake from the oven. Before it cooled down, I poured a mixture of fresh lemon juice and sugar over the top to soak it. If I'm electing lemons to be my favorite, I should really use them to the fullest, right?

No comments: