Saturday, May 7, 2011

The conflicts of human nature . . .

As mentioned before, my teenage son and I have planned an educational trip together for almost two years now. Departure day looms in the more immediate future now, and suddenly it all seemed like a better idea a year ago . . . when it was in the far distant future!

I think it is the combination of excitement, the last-minute things that have to be done, and the fact that for more than two weeks, we will be on personally unchartered territory. I know this pre-departure will subside once we find ourselves on the plane and realize that as long as we have our passport and travelers checks, most forgotten items can be purchased on the trip. It is jus all the 'what ifs' of right now.

Yes, our bags are packed! My son is beside himself with excitement as he will get to see where history happened during World War II. We are basically following the troop route of the Easy Company. Although I have been overseas several times before marriage and children, I have never seen most of the places we will be visiting on this trip.

I think the fact that we ARE going on this trip really struck home, last night, when I realized that this time, next week, we will be boarding an English Channel Ferry and subsequently landing in Normandy. I would venture to speculate and sincerely hope that it will be a much easier landing than when the allies came ashore during World War II.

No comments: