Sunday, March 13, 2011

The rainy days seem to be over for this year . . .

California doesn't seem to be entertaining any thoughts of more rain this year. The warm days are luring my husband out and he is happily planning and preparing his garden. As always, lots of tomato plants. Fresh produce is expensive and the bumper crop we had last summer is still being enjoyed right now with the ones I froze and saved. Not sure what other crops will be coaxed into providing us with vitamins this summer but my husband has almost doubled the size of the garden. Our dog is watching anxiously as she has buried any number of bones in the currently 'vacant' dirt and she is worried that my husband might turn over a clump of dirt and expose her hiding place.

With the planting of the garden begins my dog's annual contest with my husband. Where will the weak links in the fence be and will it require her to jump over or dig under to access a tomato. Unfortunately, our dog prefers tomatoes over dog food if she can get them.

Not sure if I'm looking forward to the heat of the summer, however. We don't use our air conditioning and it often gets up to 90 degrees IN the house! Too bad the season can't be temperate all year long but a perfect temperatue would probably get weary until it was in Heaven!

No comments: