Monday, March 28, 2011

My favorite treat!

My favorite treat isn't edible! My favorite treat is a trip to the fabric warehouse! Yes, there is such a thing in existence and it more than satisfies the quilter in me!

When I first got interested in quilting, I didn't have too much choice in fabrics as the small, quilting shops were expensive. If I was going to spend that much on fabric, it had better be for something practical like dresses for my then little girls. Someone told us, one day, about a place about an hour from us that that discount fabric. It was seconds or marred factory discard stuff. It was perfectly good, quality cotton fabric ideal for quilting. The reason for the discount as it was last year's designs! Uh, I don't care if the rose pattern or whatever, isn't 'with it' for this year. I chose fabric by what I like and once you cut fabric into various squares and put it into a quilt, who really knows that it was last year's vintage?

The first time I walked into the place, it was a few minutes before I could move as I was in shock at all the temptations in fabric lined up, row upon row! I always start in the 'stacks' first. This is comprised of about eight aisles of flat fold fabric that's 'with it' factor is older than the bolts in the mail area. It is piled about five feet high and there are plenty of quality bargains there - you just have to dig and at $1.69 a yard . . .

After my husband and I have exhausted the stacks, we go into the general area with the nice bolts of fabric going for $2.99-$3.99 a yard. For a treat, we go through the $6.99-$8.99 and MIGHT get a yard of two of something really unique or special.

My husband's only rule after a trip to the fabric warehouse is that I get it all into my sewing cupboards and the doors SHUT! I just have to restrain myself from starting a new project with today's finds and finish the quilt I have at hand. So unfair! : - )

No comments: