Monday, March 28, 2011

Egypt and cotton . . .

Even if you feel the conflict in Egypt is far removed from your state in life, it has been felt all over the world - the price of cotton has gone up and that trickles down to what yardage you buy at the fabric stores. I came up against this increase at the fabric warehouse today. What used to be $1.96 a yard is now $2.49 a yard. Sure, it is still way below store prices but it does cut down on how much you can, in good conscience, buy for yourself.

Never the less, the trip to the fabric warehouse was productive and I got some real bargains and picked up a few lengths of fabric I had been looking for lately. I always get inspired around miles and miles of fabric and today was no exception. Since this is a fabric warehouse or a last stand for some fabrics, you buy what you want when you see it or it might not be there another time. Fortunately, I found two fabric patterns I had wished I'd purchased more of earlier in the year and they were in the 'stacks' today and marked down! A win/win situation.

I always have my format for finding fabric. First, I go through the stacks of flat fold fabric which are either outdated or end of bolts. I was blessed to find some good-sized lengths which I needed to finish off the backs of some quilts in progress. Next, I went through the more 'formal' line up of fabric with the slightly higher price tags. I only splurged on two more expensive ones. The rest were going for $3.99-$4.99 a yard. I'm excited to start planning some new quilts this week. Yes, yes, of course, I WILL finish the current one in progress . . . I'll just keep telling myself that and avoid the temptation of cutting into new fabric!

I also kept my ongoing promise to my husband. I can buy what I want within reason but it all has to fit into my fabric cupboards and the doors have to close ALL THE WAY! Well, the doors aren't TOO ajar and all new purchases on in place.

No comments: