Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Scrappy personality . . .

I have a cupboard full of beautiful lengths of perfect cotton fabric for quilting yet my inspiration keeps pulling me back to the scrap box for quilting ideas. I finished piecing and eight-point star patterned quilt yesterday and am in the finishing phases. I'm very much looking forward to my favorite part . . . putting in the final stitch!

I also started cutting out fabric for yet another rail fence quilt. This will be my fourth one in as many months. This is all in Spring colors and pretty much evolving from the scrap box . . . AGAIN!

I have a very large scrap quilt on the sofa in the living room. My family likes to race each other to it's warmth on a cold evening while they watch television or read a book. Of all the quilts I have ever made, this one is my favorite. I used every piece of fabric I could find so there are few duplicates in the pattern. Each piece included, however, has some kind of memory. Sometimes, I'll notice a piece that used to be an Easter dress I made for one of my daughters when she was little. Or see a scrap from a favorite shirt my son wore to pieces because Mom made it. I'm also always amazed that a pile of seemingly useless scraps can become a very useable blanket.

No comments: