Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Prelude to the Beginning . . .

The cardinals have gathered in Rome and the conclave to elect the new pope begins today. I imagine Emeritus Pope Benedict is most prayerful today as he remembers his time during the last papal election. I read the various articles and columns about all this and am glad the world doesn't get to vote on this important election. It is now a wait and see process. One wonders where they will be and what they will be doing when the white smoke plumes in the sky and we know the announcement is close at hand. There are many cardinals that would make a good successor to Pope Benedict but God's plans will make the final decision. We hope and pray.

I'm also feeling a bit old today as I count back on all the popes that I've 'lived' through to date. I remember listening to the radio and hearing the somber tone of the reporter saying, "Pope Pius XII is dead." I guess maturity and age played into my thoughts as I found the election of Pope Benedict the most exciting. I remember heading down the road for shopping and the announcer saying, "We have white smoke!" I made the fastest U-turn in history and headed back home to get my children gathered around to hear. With amazement, we heard that Cardinal Ratzinger had been elected and knew for sure that God is in charge because he was the most conservative in a world of liberalism.

So, this week is going to be interesting and anxious as we wait and pray for the cardinals who have the future of the church in their hands. They are locked away from the world with only their prayers and the Holy Spirit to keep them company.

No comments: