Saturday, January 5, 2013

Gluten-free pizza - the before and after . . .

 We eat meatless on Fridays so I was musing over what to make for dinner that would be welcome but still keep within out wheat less boundaries. I decided on pizza and immediately started looking for wheat-less pizza bread recipes. Naturally, I didn't have each and every ingredient so mixed together what I did have and prayed!

The crust was actually tasty. I used chickpea, almond, and white rice flour along with yeast, grated Parmesan, olive oil, salt and enough water to bring it all together. As you can see from the first picture, going into the oven, the pizza looked pretty good. The second picture after just my son had gotten at it, seems to recommend it highly.

Since I didn't have the ingredients required to give the crust some 'chew', mine was more crunchy but it got no complaints. With the use of the high-protein flours, we found that one or two slices of pizza along with a simple salad was quite enough.

A friend recommended a gluten-free site to me and a brief look at it has opened up a lot more baking and cooking avenues. What I like about the site is that the author sticks to more basic ingredients which is helpful for those of us who either find some of the usual ones a bit expensive or difficult to find. The site is Elana's Pantry. Also, a good place to find some of the ingredients for going wheat free is Nuts.com.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: