Sunday, September 16, 2012

B is for Broccoli? Are we still doing Christmas recipes?

I felt challenged today so researched for a recipe using . . .  broccoli . . . but not as a vegetable or savory side dish but in a cake! I have made cakes with tomato, with garbanzo beans, carrots and thought about how one with broccoli would turn out.

I actually found a couple of recipe but ended up putting together my own version and as I type, it is baking in the oven so I can't give you a final verdict on the experiment yet!

Broccoli-Carrot Cake
8 ounces steamed and pureed carrots (can use baby food, too)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup finely shredded carrots
1/3 cup finely shredded raw broccoli
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup ground walnuts
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Zest and juice of two limes
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Vegetable oil spray a round 8 x 1 1/2-inch cake pan or whatever works for you.

Put all the ingredient in a large mixing bowl and with a wooden spoon thoroughly mix until just blended.  Spread into prepared pan and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes.

My cake just exited the oven and it smell very good and looks pretty with the bits of orange and green peeking through the golden crust. The cake isn't light but it rose enough to be tender. I'll have to get the final verdict from my panel of 'experts' as in family! My daughter is on a health kick and downing all kinds of green drinks so she should be game to try my low-fat 'vegetable' cake.

No comments: