Saturday, June 30, 2012

Avocado Bread - Really?

My husband has access to library book sales and is always kind enough to bring me home odd and interesting cookbooks. There was one from Translyvania that had a wonderful recipe (?) for bear paw. Thinking it was a cute name for some kind of dessert, I read it and knew it was the real thing when it said it was necessary to remove the nails and fur between the pads of the paw. I can usually find at least one, good recipe in a cookbook. In this one book, the nearest thing to that was the bear paw  and only from a standpoint of interest! I sent the book back to the sale with my husband the next day.

This recipe sounded unusual but  the primary ingredient is more available than a bear paw. Besides, I keep envisioning a three-pawed bear knocking at my door! As soon as avocados go on sale, this bread is going into my oven!

Lemon Spice Avocado Bread
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Freshly grated zest from one lemon
1 2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups thoroughly mashed avocado
1/2 cup toasted and ground walnuts or pecans
1 cup dried cranberries

Place all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Stir in everything else and mix well to combine. Spread into three vegetable-oiled sprayed loaf pans.

Bake at 325 degrees (preheated oven) for approximately 45-60 minutes our until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out without any wetness.

Cool in pans about 20 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. You can glaze the loaves with a tart lemon icing, if you like.

No comments: