Monday, March 12, 2012

An improvement?

I posted earlier in the month about my favorite mustard sauce for corned beef and cabbage. In honor of my daughter's homecoming for Spring Break, I fixed just that dinner last night. In preparing my usual mustard sauce, I got a bit more creative. Turns out I improved on something I already thought was perfect!

Mustard Sauce for Corned Beef and Cabbage
1 cup mayo
1/4 cup of the grainy, stone-ground mustard
2 tablespoons of the regular, yellow mustard
2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of the hot, dried mustard

Just thoroughly mix it all together, put it in a nice serving dish, and let your family be happily surprised.

This stuff really brings out the best in the corned beef. It makes the boiled cabbage stand out. I have even been caught putting it on the potatoes. And, if you have leftovers of the sauce, it is a good spread for cold, corned beef sandwiches on rye bread the next day.

Oh, and don't worry that we've used our corned beef too far in advance of St. Patrick's Day . . . I purchased two of them when they went on sale!

No comments: