Sunday, March 11, 2012

Daylight Savings Time Springs into our day . . .

I can never decide which part of Daylight Savings Time I dislike the most: 'losing' an hour in the Spring or 'gaining' an hour in the Fall. Either way, it seems that our sleep patterns are disrupted and we spend the next couple of days shaking our heads to get rid of the mental  fogginess.

We haven't forgotten to observe the clock adjusting ritual too many times over the years. We get to Sunday Mass a bit earlier on both the Spring and Fall time change. Why? Because many people do forget and they either arrive for a Mass earlier than they intended or end up at the next Mass because they are late. Either way, one can expect a crowd of bleary-eyed people who are usually spread out more evenly over the schedule of Sunday Masses.

My husband dutifully went around the house, last night, and moved all the clocks forward the required hour. We went to bed happy in the thought that we had not forgotten and would be waking up in a timely manner. We tried not to think about that 'lost' hour of sleep and planned to just soldier on and face the day no matter when it arrived.

I got a new alarm clock since last year. It is an amazing thing. You don't have to do anything for Daylight Savings. It does it automatically. We forgot about this handy aspect and my husband included it in his time-changing rounds last night. My alarm went off two hours early this morning! By the time, we checked the real time, figured out what happened, any sleepiness had vanished. Still tired but now awake, I wandered off to take my shower and get ready for the day. If I'm late for Mass this morning, it won't be a result of too much sleep!

No comments: