Saturday, February 18, 2012

Vote and Vote responsibly . . .

This year is our chance to start taking out some of the political trash. Don't forget to exercise your freedom to vote. The preliminary elections to decide candidates usually have low voter numbers and we really need to vote in the prelimnary ones to insure we have reasonable candidates to vote for in November.

I have to wonder, however, about several little, old ladies at our parish morning Mass. After the last presidential election, I was chastised roundly for not being in support of the new president. When I said I could never vote for anyone who advocated abortion so strongly, I was told that this was merely a rumor by the conservative factions. Huh? I still remember the news on the Friday evening after the inaguation, the then new president quietly signed away a lot of the limits on abortion set in place by President Bush. It seemed to me at the time and he has proven to be  a person set on providing abortion.

It is kind of amusing, in a sad way . . . Two of the 'little, old ladies' stopped speaking to me before and after Mass when they found out how I voted in that presidential election. All this time later, they still ignore me. I wonder if it is because they blindly perceive themselves to  still be right in their vote or they are afraid I might have grounds to chastise them this time. They have to live with what our country has become, today, because  the result of their thoughtless vote is a daily plague on our nation in many ways.

No comments: