Sunday, January 22, 2012

Funny but sadly true in some cases . . .

I enjoy the music and comedy of Tim Hawkins. He has a tweet every so often that is always on the humorous note. This morning, it was no exception:

I'm getting the evil eye from a lot of people in church service today. Makes it hard for me to focus on games of Temple Run.

I laughed but with a mild grimace as I remembered an incident from morning Mass last week. During the sermon, I kept hearing this soft click, click, click. It was distracting and I wondered if there was a problem with the light fixtures or something. I glanced over and a woman was busily using sermone 'break' time at Mass to text back and forth with someone! She did this the entire fifteen minutes of the sermon without looking up once. When the sermon ended, she closed her phone and put it away. I had to wonder why she even came to morning Mass if not to attend morning Mass. If there was an extended emergency at home, shouldn't she have gone outside to finish the conversation? These are the times I'm glad my children are grown up and I don't have to figure out ways to answer their questions about the incorrect behavior of people at Mass.

One time, a woman's phone went off during Mass and she picked up and started talking as she walked down the aisle outside. She came back in, sat down, and the phone almost immediately went off, again! She headed back down the aisle, speaking loudly and clearly as she went out. You would think that by this time, she would have put her phone on vibrate but, no, it went off again and we shared in her continuing conversation. She came back into church just as Communion finished. She sat down, looked around expectantly and said out loud, "Did I miss Communion?" No one responded.

Yes, I know Tim Hawkins was joking and this woman was clueless!

No comments: