Friday, December 2, 2011

Easy Pasta Salad

There have been a few times when I got very short notice that we were either invited to a pot luck or my husband needed a dish of something for an event at work. Although I do like to fuss, there are times when I just have to do it as quickly and as well as I can with the time I have on hand. Pasta salad always works for me. It is one of those go-to recipes that will evolve from what you have on hand and still please the people who get to enjoy it. This is also a good dish on hand for a quick, light lunch when you are busy.

Easy Pasta Salad
1 pound of pasta, your choice of shape although elbows or shells seem to work best for me.
1 green onion, finely chopped
Your choice of bottled salad dressing.

Cook the pasta in salted water until just tender, don't overcook. Drain and cool. Toss with the green onion and coat lightly with their chosen dressing. Italian is my usual choice but I've had success with some of the creamy dressings, too. It's a matter of taste and what you have on hand.

This is very basic and very good. However, there are always ideas!

Ideas . . .
Toss in a small can of sliced olives.
A tablespoon or two of sweet or dill relish is good.
Some dijon mustard brighten up the salad dressing and taste.
Chopped cilantro gives it a nice flair.
Diced hardboiled egg adds some protein value and taste.
Canned tuna or salmon elevates the dish wonderfully.
Don't forget salt and pepper to taste.
Using the tri-color pasta makes for a pretty salad.

No comments: