Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Official notice!

Head's up, people! November has arrived so can Christmas be far behind? November is kind of my kick off month where I take stock of the Christmas gifts I already have prepared, makes lists to make sure everyone is accounted for, and start deciding on what Christmas cookies and treats I will be making for the holiday. I get a little antsy because I don't start the actual baking until the Thanksgiving weekend and have the plans for that meal to still get into order. Where did the time go?

Actually, it is kind of funny. Last December, I packed away two, large tins of cookies as gifts for friends and put them in the freezer. One friend decided to drop our friendship without notice and the other one made it out here to pick up her tin of cookies. I forgot about the tins except when they got in the way when I'd get something out of the freezer. A couple of months ago, I pulled out the tins and prepared to dispose of what I figured were freezer-burned cookies. My teen son opened up one tin and and I guess I had sealed them well because we immediately got the Christmas cookie aroma and they were all nestled in the tin as fresh as the day I packed them. My son and husband had a good time enjoying holiday treats over the summer and I didn't have to bake!

I've been gradually accumulating ingredients so as not to infringe on the budget all at once. For some reason, there were more substantial sales now than I usually see during the holiday rush. My freezer is nicely filled with various chocolate chips, nuts, and butter. I found brown and white sugar on sale and got molasses on sale. I feel very rich! I know my friends and neighbors happily await my annual cookie-baking binge!

After I get the menu done for Thanksgiving, I pull the cookie recipes. Time permitting, I will try and post the ones I bake.

I won't give you a count down to Christmas! You know your days are now 'numbered'!

No comments: