Wednesday, November 16, 2011

No quilting today . . .

No quilting time today but I did get the current project pinned for handsewing. I do, however, get to crochet this evening as I have an order for a little girl's shawl to match one for her mother. I love it when mothers and daughters like to have something the same to show the world they like belonging to each other. This should be one of those joyful projects.

I raced home from morning Mass in order to get the  house cleaned and the laundry going before I headed out to bag the annual turkey. Okay, no shotguns involved as the turkey was frozen stiff from being in the freezer! I did get the turkey for 47 cents a pound and that makes me very happy. Not too bad an entree for a big dinner party.

I purchased a treat for my teen son at the store . . . Spam! When I was growing up and we were trying to makes ends meet on a soldier's pay, Spam appeared at the dinner table way too often for me. Needless to say, I have never prepared this for my family's meal . . .ever! My son saw it at the store, a couple of years ago and now is very happy to see a can of it in the groceries when I get home. He slices it up and cooks up a few of them in the frying pan for a couple fo days in a row. As long as no mothers are harmed in the preparation of Spam, I will not object . . . too much!

Of course,  I have my ways of 'getting even'! My favorite lunch treat is to dice up two or three Roma tomatoes, salt and pepper them, and then put on three or four thin slices of Provelone cheese and zap it in the microwave. Okay, it does small a bit strong but not, in my opinion, as bad as Spam!

Rain in the forecast for the weekend which figures as we have a distance to drive to fetch a college daughter home. I still can't believe my 'time in life' has come and I will only have two of my four children home for the Thanksgiving holiday. My friend, who is coming for dinner with her children will be minus one of her six, too. These children grow up way too fast! My husband always is sad that we were so tired when they were rambunctious babies that a lot of it is a blur! Here's hoping some of them do their duty and eventually provide us with grandchildren to spoil.

No comments: