Friday, September 30, 2011

A few of my favorite things . . .

Even though they are starting to put out the holiday items before summer is totally over, I have to admit I like browsing and thinking about what I'm going to buy/need . . . once it goes on sale. The one thing I do buy ahead are any different, new, or unusual baking items for holiday goodies. Today, they not only had peanut butter chips on sale but candy cane crunch add-ins for cookies as well as chocolate mint chips. They are residing in my freezer awaiting their Christmas debut.

I also noticed they had pumpkin-flavored marshmallows! At first, I thought it was kind of silly but on reflection, imagined they would make fantastic rice crispy cereal treats. Next trip to the store . . . I did purchase pumpkin pudding mix. I have a recipe, which I plan to share, that used instant pudding mix and I'm thinking about how I can work this favor into the cookie.

I needed another skein of yard to complete a shawl. It was a cream color and a specific brand of yarn, no problem with that. I located the yarn and grab one of the cream colors skeins. It looked sort of all right but it wasn't entirely right. I checked the label: Very Vanilla instead of the Off White I was looking for. I stared at the eight or ten skeins of yard in the 'cream-colored' section and wondered how far off the color was from the Off White and it is would even be noticeable just being a small part of the fringe. I hopefully thought it might be the new name for the old color. Suddenly, I stared more closely at the pile of yarn and two of them were very, very, very slightly different. I grabbed one and it read Off White! Saved by a blessing sent my way!

Dinner is a Friday family favorite which we haven't thought to have in a long time. It is basically cubed potatoes, cubed. You braise them in a large frying pan until they are golden and just about cooked through and sprinkle them with salt and pepper to taste. To that, you add a cup or so of grated cheddar cheese and stir until it is melted. Then you add two or three eggs and continue cooking and stirring until it is done! Goes great with a salad dressed with lemon and honey.

Off to the rest of my day with prayers that everyone has a good ending to their day and a happy weekend ahead. God bless!

No comments: