Monday, August 8, 2011

My youngest going to college this Fall - not!

My youngest is going on 18, finished with homeschooling, and excited about starting in at community college this Fall . . . only it isn't going to happen! First of all, in order to take some of the classes, the prospective student has to take an assessment test to determine if they are ready for the more difficult classes or they need some extra, preliminary classes. We went on-line, as directed, and indicated that any day of the week, any time of the day would be fine for taking the assessment test. We were informed that they had closed the testing because all the appointments were full. Huh? How were we to register my son for the classes he wanted if they wouldn't allow him in because they closed the testing? We then went through the class catalog and went to any and all classes that didn't require the assessment test. I figured that out of ten choices, at least one would be open. No. Even going with the late or early hour classes didn't bring up an empty place in the classroom. After an hour of trying every and any class he could take without having the assessment test, we have come up empty.  No college this Fall for my son and no one is happy.

I did e-mail the college to ask about this and they e-mailed back with a set reply telling me how to access the account with the assigned password.

Well, you can't wonder too much about why the rest of the world is passing the United States by in education when it is made difficult to even sign up for an education. Looks like I'm not done with homeschooling, after all, because I sure do not want to have my son spend the next six months on the computer every day.

Just have to pray that we can eventually get an appointment to take the assessment test and can actually put the results to use and get a class or two next year. At this rate, it might take my son eight years to get a two-year AA degree.

No comments: