Monday, July 25, 2011

Pecan Tarts

I like making lists on projects that face me in the course of the day, week, month, or even months from now! I already have several things sewn/crocheted/knitted and ready for gift giving. Holiday baking requires a list because I like to make sure my cupboards are in order for the baked goods I want to make for Christmas and Thanksgiving. That is why you are finding a festive recipe on the Blog today so you can plan ahead for later.

Here is a new recipe I found that will end up on my Christmas cookie plates this season. Looks like a fun way to enjoy the taste of pecan pie in manageable servings. This is a plan-ahead recipe as the crust has to be cold.

Crust:
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 stick of butter, softened
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated

Mix all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl and refrigerate overnight.

Filling:
1 egg
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of salt
2/3 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
Pecan halves for garnish

Mix filling ingredients together in a mixing bowl.

Divide the crust dough into 24 small balls and press into miniature muffin tin. Fill each pastry 3/4 full with filling, top with pecan half and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes. Cool and remove from muffin tin.

I found mine non-stick, miniature muffin tin at Walmart for not too bad a price. It has come in handy so I figure it was a good investment!

Ideas . . .
When they come out of the oven, you could drop a chocolate chip or two on top of each tart and smooth it out when they soften - instant chocolate icing!

No comments: