Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mostly a day for myself . . .

After I finish doing the bills, this morning, I have most of a day for my own. We did our weekly cleaning on Sunday instead of today because of prospective company which freed up Tuesday for sewing for me . . . after I complete the bookwork that keeps us up to date and our bill collectors happy!

I'm trying something new before settling down to quilting. My husband and I were browsing through a fabric/craft store, yesterday, and came across a sale on a tool that will fold and iron fabric into bias tape. I use a lot of bias tape for hems and designs on quilts. The prepacked stuff gets expensive. This little machine thing will make bias tape out of any cotton fabric and I can now match the bias tape exactly to the project . . . since I can actually use the same fabric. The best part of this find? It was on sale for 50% off otherwise I would never have even considered it. My husband made the final decision on the purchase, handed it to me and said, "Early Merry Christmas or belated Happy Birthday!" I'm looking forward to figuring out a new sewing adventure today . . .after I do the bills!

A week of hot weather which is kind of scary when I realize the real heat of summer hasn't even hit yet. We usually have two or three weeks during the summer months where the temperatures go up to triple digits and stay up. When it only goes down to 80 at night, you know you are living in California and you know it is hot.

We live in a rapidly aging house so don't have central air conditioning. We cope with stragically located fans and keep bottles of ice-cold water on hand. It bothers my husband more as he works in a nicely air conditioned office all day and goes through a 'weather shock' when he walks in the door at night. Just so you know, I'm always ladylike and do not sweat . . . I sure do glow, however!

No comments: