Monday, April 11, 2011

Sugar Drop Cookies make memories . . .

I remember one incident from my childhood days that always brings back a nice and cozy memory. It was a rainy, cold day and I was watching cartoons on our old black & white television (tell me that doesn't date me!). My mother was busy in the kitchen and good smells were drifing around the house. Suddenly, my mother appears with a plate of warm cookies directly from the oven with a cup of hot cocoa. She said that could be my lunch today which to any child is cause for celebration!

I acquired that cookie recipe when I left home and it is my go-to cookie when I need a quick batch. It is simple and basic but that seems to be the beauty of it. My own children have had a few surprise lunches with this cookie over the years. It is a welcome plate at potlucks. I may have shared this before but for new readers, I thought I run it past, again.

Super Simple Sugar Drops

2 eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Beat eggs until foamy; stir in oil, vanilla, zest, and sugar. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture. Combine until smooth. Drop by teaspoonsful about two inches apart on very lightly greased cookie sheet. Dough should be rather soft. Sprinkle a bit of sugar on each cookie before baking. Colored sugar is fun if it is on hand. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.

No comments: