Saturday, April 2, 2011

Dying bananas meet their eternity . . .

In other words, we got more bananas than we could eat and the rapidly browning fruit has now found it's way into banana nut cranberry bread which is baking in the oven even as I type here.

I was wondering if having banana bread broke our Lenten sacrifice to not have sweets but justified it with 1.) It's called bread, right? 2.) Waste not, want not! 3.) If we eat it for a quick breakfast, it can't be called dessert.

Haven't made banana bread in a long time so enjoyed making two loaves of it today AND saving those aging bananas! I always buy fresh cranberries in the Fall and freeze them so I have some on hand to throw into breads, cakes, and smoothies. To me, banana bread is a bit sweet and the tang of the cranberries seems to compromise that in a good way.

No comments: