Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Changing viewpoints . . .

In the first few years of or marriage, I can only imagine the bruises I might be tempted to vent upon my poor husband if a birthday or Christmas gift to me was a cooking pot or dish towels. How twenty-some years changes an attitude! One of the best Mother's Day gifts I've ever received from him was a blender with horsepower to spare. No, it is not something I can wear or decorate the house with but it sure saves me time when I need to grind grain or smooth out a fast sauce. Just the money we've saved making our own milkshakes and smoothies had etched this handy item into my heart.

My treat of the day? A fondue pot! In my ignorant youth, a few extra dollars in my pocket would have gone for perfume or a new blouse. The current windfall brought a new fondue pot into the house and I'm thrilled! Age and practicality certainly changes viewpoints.

We used to have a cheap, little fondue pot that did okay and we had quite a few fun dinner adventures with it. Even when the children were small, no one ever got stuck by a waving fondue fork! I went through all the recommendations on-line and read the reviews. I actually got a product that lived up to what was written about it and am excited to put it to use this week.

I'm currently researching recipes for my Friday meal to treat my husband. Right now, Swiss will be the predominant cheese although I'm looking at a couple of others that might go well in combination. I basically go with a white wine, splash of brandy, Swiss cheese mixture. Besides the garlic-rubbed bread cubes, I also put out crisp broccoli, spears of pear, grilled bites of sausage, steamed cauliflower . . . and whatever else will stay speared on the fork and survive dipping in hot cheese.

I'm a basic cheese fondue person but am always looking for new ideas and open to suggestions.

No comments: