Saturday, March 19, 2011

Not enough time in the world . . . sigh!

I've been sorting through stacks of recipes I've collected and deciding if I really need to keep all of them. Not enough time in the world for me to try each and every one so I had to be harsh and keep only the ones I KNEW I would eventually make . . . someday!

Cold weather makes me think of Fall and Fall makes me think of pumpkins so finding this recipe fit into my mood. If only it wasn't Lent, this would be in the oven right now!

Pumpkin Bundt Cake

You need a 12 cup bundt pan or equivilent pans to hold batter. Spray well with vegetable oil spray. Lightly flour.

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Dash of cloves
2 teaspoons butter

Combine these ingredients in a small bowl. Cut in the butter with a fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup butter, softened
4 large eggs
1 cup cooked pumpkin (canned variety is great!)
8 ounces sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest

Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside. Creat the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition. Add the rest of the ingredient, mixing well. Stir in the flour mixture.

Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the crumbly mixture over the batter. Top with the remaining batter.

Bake for 55-60 minutes in a 350 degree, preheated oven. Cool for at least 30 minutes in the pan before inverting it onto a wire rack to finish cooling.

Glaze with a combined mixture of 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and enough fresh orange juice to make a thick but pourable icing.

No comments: