Thursday, March 10, 2011

Good Start to Lent . . .

Our early-morning Mass for Ash Wednesday was very nice especially with the surprise of a priest who used to serve at our parish. It was amusing as they had put out eight bowls for the ashes but miscounted and one of the priests didn't get one. In my book, one of the many extraordinary ministers should have graciously stepped down but once these people get hold of a bit of the liturgy, there is no going back. Father, however, found his niche during the distribution of the ashes. The extraordinary ministers were fanned across the front of the church. Naturally, most people would have preferred to have the ashes from the priest but Father wouldn't have any of this and kept directing traffic.

I was happy to not forget about fasting, yesterday. It takes some active memory force to not pop a bit of carrot or whatever when I'm slicing and dicing things for dinner!

Came up with a scrap quilt idea and got twenty squares pieced already. I like it when I can almost make something from nothing as I haven't had to cut into a new length of fabric yet on this project. Sigh . . . The older I get, the less time there seems to be to try all the projects that interest me.

Day two of Lent and we already take a break from fasting and such to treat my daughter on her 21st birthday! She often bemoans the fact that her birthday always falls during Lent!

No comments: