Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Going deaf rapidly . . .

I once had an interesting experience. I was enjoying a busy morning of cooking and baking in my kitchen, watching the children play right outside the window. Suddenly, the air is infused with the most horrible of sounds that jolt me out of my wellbeing and startle the children and the dog. It took be a few seconds to determine that it was actually 'music' from someone's stereo and they had the bass turned all the way up to insure every neighbor's house was seemingly shaking on their foundations. Although it is against the law to disturb the peace ANY time of the day, it seemed outrageous that someone should require this sort of stimulation at that volume at ten in the morning. I discovered that it came from two houses down the street so I walked over to ask them to PLEASE turn it down.

I walked up the path to the door and the music was even more vibrant up close. It seemed like the noise was almost oozing out of every window and door. I knocked at the door. No answer! I rang the doorbell. No answer. I knocked even harder. No answer! I finally just leaned on the doorbell and soon the teen of the house yanked open the door. Before I could request a drastic volume reduction, she yells at me, "STOP ringing and knocking! My dad is sleeping and you will wake him up!" I had the presence of mind to kindly request that she turn down the volume or I would see that her dad was notified. She did so and we both walked away shaking our heads in disbelief!

No comments: