Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Apple Season!

The fires in California are finally under control. Our favorite place to buy apples in the Fall, Oak Glen, was completely saved from the fires. At one point, it didn't look good but with God's blessing, lots of prayers, and terrific firemen, not a tree or home was lost.

We went up the day after they lifted the evacuation ban to see how some friends fared. They weren't back yet but just seeing their grove and house still standing was wonderful. We made a trip on Labor Day and they were back and selling their wonderful apples. We purchased a lot as evidenced by the apple pies in the refrigerator. For some reason, the family didn't mind me turning on the oven for that!

All the apple eating must be inspiring me as I finished five tote bags today and started in on a quilted vest with printed fabric of Our Lady of Guadeloupe.

I did find something besides apples on our recent visit to Oak Glen. We stopped to get some cash, I looked up, and there was a wall of the most beautiful quilting fabric in a corner of the gift shop! Not only that but the owner of the store was a quilter, too, so we could both talk with some 'authority'. Since I had just been to my favorite fabric warehouse a couple of weeks ago, I didn't give into temptation and left Oak Glen with only apples!

No comments: